Tuesday 22 January 2013

Some progress at last!

It's been a long while since I updated the blog and in that interval life's been rather busy. A few more health issues and LOTS of thing to do at work, but all sorted now with any luck.

I've managed to get a few things done with the frames and should have everything glued in place by the time I start work again (Friday).

Stem and frame #1 in and the centre case hole cut.
A few photos to give you some idea of what's been happening:
Frame two in place and the centre case fitted. That was a big job!
Frame #2 dry fitted

Slowly marching along toward the transom. All the frames dry fitted at present.



Starting to look like a boat...sort of!
Lots of interpretation, grumbling and (as it's been about a trillion degrees C ) lots of sweat!
Quite a mess at the moment, but a long weekend to clean up will help. As I'm still on school holidays I'm not sure how that will be any different, but, ever the optimist!
One thing that is difficult is keeping the epoxy cool enough to work with. It's in the second fridge at present, the only way to stop the exothermic reaction before I've finished mixing it!
A couple of cooler days did help though.

I've been getting lots of really good ideas from others; such as "Chinook" and "Gardens of Fenwick" . I will enlarge the access in Frame #1 to incorporate a larger, rectangular hatch, and will transom mount the outboard. Having the motor on the transom will simplify the build, make fitting easier and give me a little more room for a slightly larger outboard.

7 comments:

  1. Richard, great to see so much progress. Your almost there!

    /A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAH!

      Yes Anders, if almost there is a fifth of the way.
      As I'm sure you know, getting this far only makes you think about how much more there is to do.
      Still, it is nice to see something happening.

      Delete
  2. Richard, you are making great progress! Everything looks so neat and tidy. I wish I had thought to install the chines before fitting the frames... That would have saved me some difficulties. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob.
    I don't know about "neat and tidy" though. You should see the state of my shed!
    I have to keep the deck fairly clean though as it's still a family area.
    At least I can work on the boat and still be within reach of the beer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a nice tidy boat from here! Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exist? Hah! You should see the shed! I keep the mess somewhere else!
    I hope to get something more done in the school holidays. That's in three weeks time. Before then I hope to get the year 6 and 7 girls through to the stae championships for primary school football (soccer).

    ReplyDelete