Sunday 11 August 2013

Outboard choices.

I've decided not to have an outboard hanging off the transom, or seated in a well cut through my boat.
Instead I will use an electric pod fixed forward of the rudder.
As trolling motors are just not powerful enough that seemed to be a problem, until a German company developed these:  http://www.torqeedoaustralia.com/Torqeedo_Australia/Home.html


A Torqueedo travel. I may use the larger cruise model.
There are various models that range from those designed for kayaks, to their new 60hp model (which is massive).

While mounting the pod permanently beneath the boat will create some additional drag, I'm not interested in racing so don't care if I lose some speed. Gath Mor will be used to sail around the Harvey estuary and go fishing offshore in an area that is really very mild weather wise. I just need a motor that can assist in getting me out of the inlets, bring me back the 15 nautical miles from the best fishing spots and provide a little peace of mind.

The true beauty of the travel range is that they can be charged from a portable solar panel, even while running. The panel alone can provide enough charge to run the pod at super low speeds. More peace of mind and without pollution.

No comments:

Post a Comment